Friday, September 21, 2012

Yogurt!


So if you google/youtube "homemade yogurt" you will find a million "fool proof" yogurt recipes. Everything from using a candy thermometer to monitor the temperature, cooking it in the crock pot or letting it finish in your oven with the light on. All of these are so easy you can't mess up right??!? WRONG!! IT WAS ALL LIES!!!! There is no fool proof method because I tried several methods and found myself with several batches of  curdled, way too sour, or completely not set yogurt. Finally after a few (OK, let's be honest, several) attempts I finally got a batch of really delicious and good textured yogurt. HOORAY FOR SMALL VICTORIES!

 It looks a little soupy in the picture but it was actually the perfect yogurt consistancy. I ended up mixing two methods by heating my milk (I used powdered) on the stove and letting it cool in a bath of cold water in the sink then pouring it into a warm but unplugged crock pot wrapped in a towel and letting it sit 4 Hours. Some websites (In fact most websites) said 6 to 8 but when I did that my yogurt always curdled. Now we can finally stop spending roughly $13 a month on yogurt!

No comments:

Post a Comment