Sunday, November 25, 2012

Brine On!!!

Oh Thanksgiving! I love you and I hate you. I love you because of all the DELICIOUS food but I hate you because I end up eating my body weight in green bean casserole and pumpkin pie. The pants that I blogged about being so excited to button up now mock me with a two inch gap between button and button hole. How sad. It is OK though. Tomorrow is a new day to exercise and besides, our left overs are almost all gone so the temptation will no longer be calling me every time I open the fridge to make a turkey sandwich...which sounds so good right by the way.

I brined my turkey again this year and I swear it is the only way I will prepare my turkeys from now until I die. They just taste so good!!!!! This year's brine was brown sugar, salt, garlic, onion and some random spices I had in my cupboard. Maybe next year I'll go a little lighter on the salt but I really can't complain. The turkey was amazing.



 I don't stuff my turkey while I cook it. I add the box stuffing after when I put it on the platter to make it look pretty.

We had a couple from our Branch join us for dinner :)
I made my absolute favorite favorite (can I say it again????) FAVORITE rolls.


You know you want those right???? Well do you have a bread maker? If not you can make them anyway but it will be harder and they might not taste as good.

April's Favorite Rolls:
Put in the Bread Machine Pan in this order:
1 cup warm water
2 tablespoons very soft butter
1/4 cup sugar
1tsp salt
1 egg

Now use a fork and gently mix these together.
Now add:
3 cups white flour (You can use a 1/4 cup more if you want. I do in the summer when the air is very humid)
3tsp Bread Machine yeast

Make sure your yeast is not touching any of your ingredients except the flour. Now put your pan in the Bread Machine and put it on a dough setting. When it is done you should have some beautifully risen dough. Now punch it down. Divide your dough into 15 balls (You could do more or less depending on how big you want your rolls.) Put them in a buttered up pan and let them rise for 35-40 min or until doubled. I warm up my oven on it's lowest temp (170) then turn it off right before I put the rolls in. When they are almost done rising, I pull them out of the oven and  pre-heat it to 375. When it is ready,  put your rolls in and cook them from 12-15 minutes. As soon as they come out of the oven, brush them with melted butter. Wasn't that easy??!?!?!?!? Now go make them and eat them!


2 comments:

  1. Do you still have to constantly baste with a brine? If not, count me in haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No! In fact, according to Alton Brown of Food Network, Basting is pretty useless. He says it doesn't really do anything to keep the bird moist and you just slow down your cooking time by constantly opening the oven door. This is my second year brining and I think it is the only way I will ever prepare my turkeys.

      Delete