Wednesday, June 26, 2013

A Little Piece of Happiness.

My neighbor was cleaning out his garage and brought by an old (1930's?) Pfaff sewing machine. The kind that is attached to it's own little desk. He had shown it to me once before, and while I was not crazy excited about the machine itself, I was intrigued with all the amazing pressure feet it came with. So I did not hesitate for a minute when he offered it to me for free. I figured that even if I didn't use the machine for every day sewing, I could use it when I needed to use one of it's specialty feet.

So we lug it into the kitchen and I start playing with it. Only to be disappointed and find that it does not work. I was really bummed because I have a Kenmore sewing machine and Kenmore no longer makes sewing machines which means that you can no longer buy pressure feet for them!!!

But after sadly looking through the box of fun pressure feet one more time, I had a thought, just a whim really. I tried the pressure feet on my own sewing machine and guess what!?!??! They fit!!! I consider it a miracle and have been spending all my free time playing with them.

I want to talk today about the one that I love the most (ruffle foot being close second.)
Say hello to this beauty:

That's right ladies (and gentlemen??? probably not.) A narrow hem foot. Do you know how badly I have day dreamed about this foot??? How many hours I have spent hemming chiffon prom and bride's maid dresses???? This little foot will literally save me hours and hours of annoying hemming.

And not only will it cut my hemming time in half, but the finished result looks SOOOO much cleaner. I am in love.


You can really see the difference on the back. The old way I did it involved sewing a tiny hem all the way around, trimming off excess fabric, folding the first hem over then sewing the entire thing again. The end result was two rows of stitching and double the work. The new way does it all in one pass and it looks so beautiful I almost want to cry.

Oh yes. I'm sure. Also, I have no idea who Lady Wishes is. I just stole this picture from google.

No comments:

Post a Comment