Saturday, January 14, 2017

Photo Blocks

I really like making presents for Christmas. Maybe it is the golden rule mentality and because I like getting homemade gifts, I assume others do too? Anyway, one of my favorite projects was making photo block puzzles for all of my siblings and siblings in law.


Start with four 2"X2" blocks. I got mine in a pack from Hobby Lobby for about $2.50 (I used a 40% off coupon on all of them).

Print six 3 3/4"X3 3/4" pictures of the people you want to put on your blocks. I just printed mine on the computer. Then, using a ruler draw lines on the back so you can cut the pictures into four perfect squares. 

Sand your cubes lightly to get rid of any little splinters. Then you can paint them or leave them plain. I made a lot of these and one set I decided to leave plain wood and the rest I painted. I did some with white paint and some with black. If I did these again in the future, I would do them all white because I think those sets looked the best.

Place your pictures on your cubes making sure to have all the pieces lined up so they come together in the middle and have about an 1/8th of an inch around the edge. Put a light layer of Modge Podge on the cubes then place your pictures on them. 

Smooth out the air bubbles (THOSE DARN AIR BUBBLES!!!!!) and then do a light layer of Modge Podge on top of the pictures.

THIS IS IMPORTANT!
I don't like the streaky look when you paint Modge Podge on so after I paint it on, I go back and dab with a sponge brush all over so it has more of a canvas look.

Look closely and you can see the speckled look of the Modge Podge while it is wet.

Once one side is dry to the touch, randomly rotate all your cubes and then start again! Once all six sides are done you have a cute puzzle that you can rotate around to see a different picture every day (well...for six days, then you have to start over).






Definitely one of my favorite projects! I think I made 10 of these!

No comments:

Post a Comment