Sunday, February 12, 2012

Adventures in Food Storage!

So I have accumulated a few #10 cans of basic food storage (Thank you mother!) over the last few years and I have decided that it is time I learn to use some of it. Rice is easy enough but wheat is kind of intimidating. I looked up a few easy ideas and Cracked Wheat seemed to be the easiest thing to start with (considering I do not have a wheat grinder). My first attempt to make cracked wheat in my blender turned into slightly gritty flour but my second attempt, I feel, succeeded! I needed to cook it a little longer than the 5 minutes suggested in the recipe but overall I feel like it was a success! I will try to make it a couple of times a week to make our oatmeal last longer. With milk and sugar I thought it tasted about as good. I had a #10 can of Pinto Beans and my first thought was Refried Beans!!! I looooove Mexican food so I found a good recipe and two days later I had some surprisingly yummy and slightly gritty refried beans.

You know you want some.

Top those with the homemade tortillas a I made and we had some delicious Chicken Chimmy Changas for dinner. I am feeling better and better about my food storage and it is no longer the intimidating monster in my cupboard.

You are not so scary!!!

1 comment:

  1. haha you're better than me. I still haven't touched my "raw" wheat! TOO SCARY!!!

    ReplyDelete